The Manned Space Flight Education Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit educational foundation offering extensive science education programs and a space museum. The cornerstone of its education mission is Space Center Houston, a leading science and space exploration learning center. It is one of Houston’s top attractions, the area’s No. 1 attraction for international visitors, the Official Visitor Center of NASA Johnson Space Center and a Smithsonian Affiliate.
Since opening in 1992, Space Center Houston has welcomed nearly 20 million visitors and currently hosts more than 1 million visitors annually in its 250,000-square-foot educational complex. Space Center Houston has a $73 million impact on the greater Houston economy, according to a 2016 economic study by Jason Murasko and Stephen Cotten, associate professors of economics at the University of Houston – Clear Lake. 925 jobs and $36 million in personal income are attributed to its presence.
Fun and engaging education
Educational emphasis is placed on science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) in a fun and engaging way. It uses space exploration to inspire wonder and interest in science and math.
- Space Center Houston offers a rich array of education programming for teachers and students, providing extraordinary learning opportunities.
- Inspiring young people to choose careers in STEM is one of the outcomes of our program.
- Education programs are based on data-supported evidence of effective learning and teaching methods.
Educational complex and space museum
The center features more than 400 space artifacts, permanent and traveling exhibits, attractions and theaters related to the exciting future and remarkable past of America’s human space-flight program – all for one admission price. The experience is designed to engage adults and children alike.
- There is always something new at Space Center Houston with an amazing array of traveling exhibits and astounding events.
- Space Center Houston has the world’s largest collection of moon rocks and lunar samples for public view.
- Known around the world as the home of NASA Mission Control, International Space Station Mission Control and astronaut training, guests are taken behind the scenes to see NASA Johnson Space Center.