Boy Scouts of America Campouts
Space Center Houston engages Scouts in an interactive and hands-on learning environment. Scouts will have an enriched experience in our campout that teaches young boys about the science, technology, engineering and mathematics involved with space exploration.
Each campout is tailored to the individual ages of the Scouts. The activities are badge-inspired, STEM-based and all about space! Come experience Space Center Houston’s Boy Scouts of America Campout activities. Immerse yourself in a setting where your imagination can take flight as you design, build, create, program and launch into a new world of opportunity and exploration.
Demonstrate Scout leadership skills as you work with your peers to solve the real-world problems NASA often encounters. How can you make an astronaut’s job easier? How do you program a robot? How do you plan an astronaut rescue mission on Mars? Get ready to launch into an incredible experience in our Boy Scouts of America Campouts.
Explore all of our campout options below.
Space Exploration Badge*
- Explore Starship Gallery and the early human space flight missions.
- Learn how rockets work with Newton’s Laws while designing and building an air-rocket to launch.
- Design a base on mars that can sustain human life and will return samples of the surface to earth.
- Engineering challenge inspired by a problem the Apollo 13 crew faced - “Houston we’ve had a problem”
- Feb. 15, 2020
- May 2, 2020
- July 25, 2020
- Oct. 17, 2020
Cub Scout Pack Overnight
STEM NOVA “Out of the World” Award*
Ranks: Wolves, Bears, Webelos, Arrow of Light, Lions*, and Tigers*
*Note: Does not meet STEM NOVA Award requirements
- Inspiration: Watch a documentary about NASA and space exploration in our large screen theater.
- Robotics challenge roving on Mars: Program a rover and transport materials across the Martian surface to supply an outpost.
- Stargazing: Look at the stars, moon and planets through telescopes and take home your own pinhole planetarium.
- Build and launch a model rocket: Each Scout will build a rocket to take home. Space Center Houston will conduct a rocket launch at the end of the night.
- Explore a science learning center: Your second day will include a private tram tour of NASA Johnson Space Center and general admission to Space Center Houston.
- March 28, 2020
- June 20, 2020
- July 18, 2020
- Aug. 8, 2020
- Sept. 26, 2020
Wolf and Bear Scouts
Robotics Adventure* (Bear Scouts)
STEM NOVA Award.* (Wolf Scouts)
- Build a “Stomp Rocket” and watch it launch, make adjustments to fly higher.
- Design Your Own Robot: Design and build a robot that can make your own life easier, from cleaning your room to walking your dog or even cooking dinner!
- Range Rovers: NASA has sent many rovers to Mars – now it’s your turn! Learn how to program your own rover to explore the Martian terrain.
- Jan. 25, 2020
- April 4, 2020
- Sept. 12, 2020
Adventures in Science*
- Complete a “fair test” and analyze your results
- Build and launch a rocket.
- Watch live experiments about rocket fuel.
- Feb. 29, 2020
- May 16, 2020
- Aug. 29, 2020
*Please note that campers work toward badge or award requirements in our Scout Camp-In. Space Center Houston Camp-In instructors are NOT certified merit badge counselors and are not able to sign Blue Cards. Space Center Houston DOES NOT provide merit badge worksheets.