Grab your camping gear and head to the backyard because the night sky is calling us to camp out! During this unique time, Space Center Houston is hosting Virtual Campouts.
This exciting program allows guests who would like to experience Space Center Houston's Camp-In program but are unable to visit the center.
Stargaze and explore the stars with us in real time. Use household items to make science come to life through engaging hands-on activities. Tour our space artifacts virtually with our app.
Be part of the NASA mission by competing in Virtual Campout challenges through our Innovation Gateway, a community science initiative. Everyday explorers – just like you – have the opportunity to provide useful solutions to further space exploration and our world.
Ordinarily, Space Center Houston's Campouts are paid programs. We recognize the financial difficulties the COVID-19 crisis has created for many people, and we want everyone to be able to participate and enjoy these educational and fun programs without price being a barrier. As a result, we are offering this Campout to anyone who would like to participate and ask you pay whatever you are comfortable paying. Please enter the amount you are able to pay per person. If you are not able to pay, please enter "0" in the blank during registration. We are excited to have you join us for this Virtual Campout!
Please register at least 24 hours before the event. We can’t wait to see you under the stars!
Virtual Campout tips:
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email withing 24 hours containing the following items:
- Virtual Campout instructions
- A link to the virtual event
- A list of activity supplies to help you and your family prepare for hands-on experiences taught by our Space Center Houston instructors. These are typical household items that can be used for the activities.
- It is recommended you download the Space Center Houston app so we can learn about space exploration before we start the event.
- If you have a telescope or binoculars, get them ready to bring to the event. If you do not have a telescope or binoculars, no worries! Download the free SkyView Lite app and explore the stars with us in real time. (Be sure to install any app updates too.)
- For a stronger internet connection when farther away from your router use 2.4ghz instead of 5.0ghz
- Turn off other internet connected devices not being used during the event (tablets, cell phones, computers, laptops, smart TVs, smart home devices, video game systems, etc.)
- Have your supplies and campsite ready prior to the start of the event.
- The event can be viewed through a web browser. You do not need the Microsoft Teams app downloaded.
- If you experience difficulties when the event starts or during the event, try logging off and opening the event again.
SAVE THE DATE
- Aug. 7, 2021
- Sept. 4, 2021
- Oct. 2, 2021
- Nov. 6, 2021
- 6-6:30 p.m. – Set up your tents and share photos on social media using the hashtag #SpaceCenterHOU
- 6:30-7 p.m. – Download the free Space Center Houston app to tour some of the center exhibits virtually
- 6:45-7 p.m. – Log into event
- 7 p.m. – Welcome show
- 7:10 p.m. – Guest speaker
- 7:30 p.m. – First activity
- 7:55 p.m. – Handover
- 8 p.m. – Second activity
- 8:25 p.m. – Handover
- 8:30 p.m. – Third activity
- 9 p.m. – End of event
All times listed are central time.