Grab your camping gear and head to the backyard because the night sky is calling us to camp out! During this unique time, Space Center Houston is hosting Virtual Campouts.This exciting program allows guests who would like to experience Space Center Houston's Camp-In program but are unable to visit the center.
Stargaze and explore the stars with us in real time. Use household items to make science come to life through engaging hands-on activities. Tour our space artifacts virtually with our app.
Virtual Campout tips:
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email withing 24 hours containing the following items:
- Virtual Campout instructions
- A link to the virtual event
- A list of activity supplies to help you and your family prepare for hands-on experiences taught by our Space Center Houston instructors. These are typical household items that can be used for the activities.
- It is recommended you download the Space Center Houston app so we can learn about space exploration before we start the event.
- If you have a telescope or binoculars, get them ready to bring to the event. If you do not have a telescope or binoculars, no worries! Download the free SkyView Lite app and explore the stars with us in real time. (Be sure to install any app updates too.)
- For a stronger internet connection when farther away from your router use 2.4ghz instead of 5.0ghz
- Turn off other internet connected devices not being used during the event (tablets, cell phones, computers, laptops, smart TVs, smart home devices, video game systems, etc.)
- Have your supplies and campsite ready prior to the start of the event.
- The event can be viewed through a web browser. You do not need the Microsoft Teams app downloaded.
- If you experience difficulties when the event starts or during the event, try logging off and opening the event again.
Deaf and Hard of Hearing Virtual Campout
Explore the stars, make science come to life through engaging activities, and watch a presentation from a NASA astronaut--all with captions and American Sign Language (ASL) provided--during our deaf and hard of hearing Virtual Campout on Oct. 25.
Build straw rockets, design a robotic arm, and discover the spookiest objects in the galaxy during our planetarium activity.
NASA Astronaut Joe Tanner, veteran of four spaceflights, will share his mission experiences including conducting multiple spacewalks.
SAVE THE DATE
- Aug. 7, 2021
- Sept. 4, 2021
- Oct. 2, 2021
- Oct. 25, 2021 - Deaf and hard of hearing Virtual Campout
- Nov. 6, 2021
- 6-6:30 p.m. – Set up your tents and share photos on social media using the hashtag #SpaceCenterHOU
- 6:30-7 p.m. – Download the free Space Center Houston app to tour center exhibits virtually
- 6:45-7 p.m. – Log into event
- 7 p.m. – Welcome show
- 7:10 p.m. – Guest speaker
- 7:30 p.m. – First activity
- 7:55 p.m. – Handover
- 8 p.m. – Second activity
- 8:25 p.m. – Handover
- 8:30 p.m. – Third activity
- 9 p.m. – End of event